A showstopping baked cheese starter that makes for truly delectable dipping! There’s nothing better than curling up on a Sunday night with a glass of red, a few slices of succulent French saucisson and a beautiful baked camembert, particularly … Continue reading
It’s Friday evening, I’m late home from work, and ambitiously, I’ve invited a gathering of guests over for an impromptu dinner party to celebrate the start of the weekend. Panic sets in – ‘what an earth can I rustle up in less than twenty minutes that looks and tastes fantastic?!” I can cheat and buy some posh nibbles, or I can be inventive and use up the tasty delights that have been sitting in my fridge, patiently awaiting my creative culinary skills. I know I have feta, I know I have cherry tomatoes, and I’m positive there are some herbs lying around that I can make good use of.
Sometimes these creations of mine turn out disastrously, but this time I’m glad to say it’s a complete success, with my dinner guests practically licking the serving dish clean. Rich cherry tomatoes in a sweet, tangy sauce with crumbled, salty feta baked until creamy and delicious. Serve with crusty wholemeal bread to scoop up the delectable deliciousness. It’s finger food at its finest, and allows you time in the kitchen to tackle the main course!
And for the recipe…
This gorgeous starter is packed full of flavour and only requires about five minutes preparation before throwing everything into the oven to work its magic.
● 2 shallots (finely chopped)
● Drizzle of olive oil
● 1 crushed garlic clove
● 1 can of cherry tomatoes in tomato juice (plus a little water)
● Pinch of chilli flakes
● Pinch of dried herbs (oregano or thyme)
● 200g pack of feta
● Fresh oregano or parsley (to garnish)
● Salt and pepper
What to do
1) Finely chop the shallots and fry in a little olive oil, until softened.
2) Throw in your tin of cherry tomatoes with a dash of water, and turn up the heat until the tomato sauce has reduced.
3) Add your chilli flakes and seasoning.
4) Once the sauce has thickened, transfer to an ovenproof dish then sprinkle your crumbled feta on top, with a little salt and pepper.
5) Bake in the oven at 180°C for about 15 minutes.
6) Scatter a topping of fresh oregano or parsley and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve with fresh, baked bread and get dipping!