A gorgeously healthy, summer quinoa salad topped with gooey griddled halloumi and a zesty lemon and thyme dressing
Who doesn’t love halloumi when the sun comes out to play? This simple, summer salad recipe is so easy to make and bursting with fresh, flavoursome aromas. Serve up on sharing platters alongside a sizzling barbecue and allow guests to help themselves.
- 200g quinoa
- 250g pack halloumi cheese
- Generous spoonful of sun-dried tomatoes
- Cherry tomatoes
- 2 red bell peppers
- A little olive oil for seasoning
- 150g-200g cooked beetroot, chopped
- 3 spring onions
- Approx 500ml chicken stock
- Enough fresh spinach to cover a serving plate
For the dressing:
- Juice of half a lemon
- Thyme leaves
- 1 tbsps brown sugar
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Drizzle red wine vinegar (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C
2. Put the quinoa into pan and cover with chicken stock. Simmer on a low heat for 10-15 mins, adding more water if needed.
3. Slice the bell peppers into sizeable strips, place onto a baking tray and cover with a little olive oil, salt and pepper . Cook in the oven for 15 minutes.
4. While the quinoa and peppers are cooking, chop the beetroot, spring onions and tomatoes. Leave aside.
5. Make the dressing by squeezing half a fresh lemon into a mixing jug, adding the sugar and slowly adding the olive oil while mixing vigorously. Finely chop fresh thyme leaves and add to the lemon and oil mix, together with a generous seasoning of salt and pepper . You can also add a drizzle of red wine vinegar if to your taste.
6. Once the peppers and quinoa have cooked, take off the heat and out of the oven and leave to cool slightly.
7. Slice the halloumi and fry on a medium heat until browned in colour.
8. While the halloumi is cooking, mix the quinoa together with the beetroot, spring onions, tomatoes and roasted peppers.
9. Prepare a plate of fresh spinach then slather the quinoa mix generously on top. Top with halloumi, drizzle the sugary lemon dressing over and serve.