A killer breakfast or brunch recipe of sticky, smoky beans with griddled sausages and poached eggs
Nothing tastes better on a Saturday morning than sizzling sausages paired with perfectly oozy poached eggs and gorgeously sticky, saucy beans. This punchy Boston beans recipe combines all my favourite flavours. Smoky pancetta, piquant chilli, tangy Worcestershire sauce and a drizzling of indulgently sweet, sticky treacle. Divine! So naughty but oh-so-nice. A weekend breakfast or brunch recipe that’s set to wow.
- 1 x 400g tin of cannellini or butter beans
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1 x red onion
- 2 x garlic cloves
- 70g pancetta, diced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 heaped tsp hot smoked paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp dark treacle
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- Fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Salt and pepper
- 2-4 x good quality sausages or chorizo sausages
- 2 x eggs (or more, depending on your appetite!)
1) Lightly boil the beans in water for about 5 minutes, just to heat them through and soften.
2) Fry the garlic and onion in the olive oil on a medium heat for a couple of minutes, until the onion has softened.
3) Add the pancetta and cook until browned.
4) Add the sugar and wait for the onions to slightly caramelise.
5) Add the paprika and cayenne pepper, together with the treacle, mustard and Worcestershire sauce and give it a good stir. It should have a thick, gooey consistency.
6) Add the tomatoes, warmed beans and a little salt and pepper. Pop a lid on the pan and leave to cook on a low heat for about 15-20 minutes and the tomatoes have reduced by half.
7) Heat the griddle pan on a high heat and start to griddle your sausages, turning often. You want a smoky, chargrilled finish so a little blackness is fine! You can grill or oven cook the sausages if you’d prefer.
8) Poach the egg in some boiling water and a little vinegar. (Here’s how to poach the perfect egg)
9) Once the beans are cooked (they should be sticky, gloopy and delicious) serve with one or two chargrilled sausages, a poached egg and a sprinkling of fresh parsley, and devour!